Sunday, May 17, 2009

Girl Scout Encampment

May 16-17 was our Girl Scout encampment weekend. I had dreaded this entire weekend for as long as I could remember. The leader was unable to attend, which made me more nervous about being the leader for the weekend. I had major issues with the lack of flushing toilets. So I had just decided I would hold it the entire time! (then at dinner, Tamara showed me where there was a flush toilet I could use). Yes crazy, but I was SOO happy!

The troop got split into 2 patrols for workshops.
My ground was Patrol 1, they had Rope Tying, Songs for Scouts, Gourd Art, Eco Games
Tamara had Patrol 2, they had Songs for Scouts, Eco Games, Gourd Art, Eco Crafts.

First thing we had was opening ceremonies, then headed over to our first workshop.
My girls got rope tying and we had a short amount of time to get all the way to the other side of the campground! We were a little late, after getting slightly lost. But it was all good, rope tying didn't take up the whole entire hour anyway.

Then we headed for lunch, we had subs, K doesn't like subs, so she ate junk, along with her friend. After lunch we had some free time between activities half the girls went on a hike and the other half that didn't want to go stayed back with me. They had fun checking out the scenery. And 2 girls found a turtle, they named Shelly.

K making a necklace using a gourd, some buttons and such. All the girls got to do this together.
Then we split apart again, back together at dinner time. Dinner was spaghetti, and wasn't that bad. After dinner was swap time, that was alot of fun. Its neat to see all the fun stuff the troops came up with.

Then it was dance party time!

And then it was our final activity of the night, Sing along around the campfire. Only one problem, right as we were leaving the dance party, the storms rolled in. We got stranded at the dining hall and ended up getting a van to drive us up to the house because it was unsafe to walk in the thunder and lightning. K was quite upset, until we got to the house, then she calmed down and had fun with her friends.


So we got up for breakfast the next morning and then packed up our stuff and headed over to closing ceremonies. Then it was time to go home.

I have to admit, I had dreaded this whole weekend for nothing. It was SOO much fun and I would most certainly do it again!



1 comment:

  1. I love turtles named Shelly :-)

    Glad you didn't get uromisotisis!

    ReplyDelete